Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Just Another Day

Hi Team,

So tomorrow is really just another day.  But it's also a year to the day since my double mastectomy and, while we are marking milestones, 5 years to the day since I got engaged (and then broke it off 9 mos later).  I'm kind of thinking I might want to call in sick tomorrow and just stay in bed to make sure nothing exciting happens. 

I've been noticing on a regular basis lately how much I love my life.  I figure one of the benefits of having gone through really tough times is being able to truly appreciate the really good times and I'm definitely doing that.  It's amazing what a difference a year can make.  I do work a lot, but I also have a lot of fun.  I spend time with people I love and I smile a lot.  As much as possible. 

I have been venturing lately into the world of dating again.  I figure it's been over a year since my last relationship ended so I should probably at least put myself out there again.  And to my surprise, it's been fun and interesting.  I've mostly so far been doing a field test with online dating, I signed up for both ok cupid and eharmony just to juxtopose and compare the two.  I've been on a few dates but overall I've made the following observations:  1.  No matter how many I have, first dates will always make me nervous 2. There are more fishes in the sea than I originally thought, but you can't judge a fish by it's online dating profile  3.  There is no right time to tell a guy you are getting to know that you had cancer.   This is an interesting one.  I have yet to be... let's say, "intimate" with a guy that wasn't with me before my surgery.  At what point do you break into the conversation and say... "Oh Yeah, I've been to the hospital too, I had cancer and got my boobs cut off.  Oh yeah, these?  They're fake, yeah I don't have nipples anymore, just scars.  I know!  You can't tell from the outside".  No!  It's just not something that people can relate to at my age.

I realize it's probably all in my head and as soon as I stop making it a big deal, it will stop being this awkward thing I can't talk about with guys I am attracted to... but yeah I certainly haven't figured that one out.  I guess that's why I need practice! 

On the bright side, tomorrow I am starting a Mindfulness course.  In the brief couple of months that I was actually seeing a therapist last year, she introduced me to the concept of Mindfulness.  This is the practice of being present in your current moment and aware in your being, just observing with an open mind and soft heart.  It's a lot more difficult than we might think.  So often we get caught up in the incessant chatter of our stream of consciousness and don't stop to just be.  It takes practice.  So, for the next 8 weeks every Thursday night from 7-9pm I will be practicing.  Wish me luck!

Just for comparison sake and a reminder what a difference a year can make (if I didn't know I might not guess I was the same person... or am I... ):

Last Year - Aug. 2010
This Year - Aug. 2011


Love,
Amy

8 comments:

  1. I love you! It's amazing how time flies right? I remember vividly last year how different your life was, and I am so glad you have decided to continue your postings! Reading each one is like reading a delicious chapter of a book-- something you want to savor, then want more of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! look at you now! And I'm not necessarily referring to the photo, which is amazingly beautiful by the way, but mostly what you have written in your blog. I am cheering you on, and it IS nice to have these blogs to do so. You have made a difference in not just your life, so, thanks Amy! And go get'em. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year sure makes a big difference you look amazing and you are a wonderful strong person. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing person Amy and very beautiful with or without hair. I'm sure you inspire so many people. Keep on keeping on!!!
    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny to me how I can spend an evening with you talking about all this stuff, but then I can read the same thing in your blog and it almost makes me cry. You are such a strong and beautiful woman, and I am excited to be here watching what this date next year brings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ames... you are awesome, every single day of the week and twice on sunday. I'm honored to share in your adventures ;) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, your candor, humor, insight and strength are an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others. I can't help to be a proud and humbled dad as I see you constantly stretch your comfort zone, face your fears, and continue to conquer life's challenges. Congratulations on the first anniversary of your rediscovered life. Thanks honey for sharing your wonderful story. Love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffring from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..info@drituaherbalcenter.com / drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete