Sunday, October 31, 2010

Taking the Girls to Florida

Hi Team,

Today I just got back from my good friend Jean's wedding in Coral Springs, FL. I was wondering how taking saline implants through security at an airport would work since a week and a half ago I got 100ml injected in each, and originally there were 70ml, so converting... yes that's more than 3.4oz each. Not to worry, they did not detain me for bringing too much liquid through the security gate. Don't go getting any crazy ideas though.

Jean's wedding was beautiful, and I was basking in the beautiful warmth of the South Florida weather and beaches. My friends were very patient in listening to me say "I'm just SO happy right now!" It's the cheesiest thing, but I really do feel like just the sense of being really content, in a warm place, on the beach, with some really close old friends, having a beer or dancing our butts off together making a fool of ourselves is really just the best it gets. It makes me so overjoyed to feel that now, that it brings tears to my eyes. Is that weird? I'm ok with being weird. It's just been quite a while since I felt that kind of happiness and joy, it's overwhelming at times how fortunate I feel.

On the same subject of feeling fortunate, I have also been reading "Interpreter of Maladies", an excellent book of short stories. Well written, short but densly packed with meaning, some sadness but always a healthy dose of introspection. I read the second story which talks about a Pakistani citizen living in the US during the time of civil war in Pakistan, watching the news each day living in fear that his family was dead or going to die, or just fear of the unknown for what he would return to. I think about my last post, slightly judging the customer service lady on the bank phone line, and consider for a moment that I could be considered just as lucky by someone in a different situation. I felt like it was silly that the lady on the phone was telling me about her close-call to going to the hospital for bronchitis (or asthma?) when I had refered to my hospital stay which was for breast cancer. After reading this short story I shut the book and took a moment to put myself in my place, as I had wanted to for the lady on the phone. Although I faced a life threatening disease, I got it at an early stage, which was cureable, and am now disease free, only 6 months later. I feel deep loss, but my hair is already growing back, I will eventually have new boobs (although not the same sense of sensation in them), I will eventually start dating someone who I know will stick around through the hard times, and I will survive. I worry, but I do not wake up every day in fear and anxiety, wondering if I or my family or friends will be killed today. On the contrary, I get to wake up, have a cup of coffee, go to work, come home, and pet my kitties while I watch the SF Giants win the world series. Go Giants!

Love,
Amy

1 comment: