Thursday, June 10, 2010

City Hiking

Hi Team,

Been feeling a little better every day this week, today is not too bad at all - still some soreness but energy level is definitely starting to go up. I keep reminding myself, today is better than yesterday, and tomorrow will be the same (better than today).

Today I went on a "city hike" with Monika - we were discussing how we'd love to go hiking in some sort of natural setting, but of course that takes effort to get out of the city. But really with the hills in San Francisco, and I live in the middle of them, it's quite convinient to go city hiking. I love the summer days where it stays light out until 8pm too, and we've been having unseasonably warm and sunny days, so it make city hiking, even late in the afternoon quite enjoyable. The pic, although not taken by me, is the actual street I live on, if you look closely you can see a sign for "Cala" which is a grocery store that I live right across the street from.

I was also getting really excited today that I had slightly more energy and feel some semblance of normalcy, and had a short-lived mental debate about whether it was better to just feel average all the time, or to feel really low lows and really high highs. The thought was short lived because I realized that my "highs" right now are really the same as what I consider my normal "average" and I just don't appreciate them as much normally because I don't have the low lows. Eliminating the lows doesn't make it average all the time, it just makes me not appreciate my normal "high" level of energy. Hopefully I can hold on to that appreciation even after I'm done with chemo.

Love,
Amy

3 comments:

  1. Love your highs, low perspective, Amy! Have a great night sleep and hope you have more high tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, in my nightmares the streets are steep like the one you live on. Eep! Hope you don't drive a stick shift :) Another note as to whether middle-of-the-road all the time is better than highs and lows? Anyone who has felt the mind-numbing effects of an antidepressant would probably vote for the highs and lows. Don't know if the same is true for physical well-being. Think I might choose middle-of-the road. Hope your weekend is sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiking in San Fran is no "walk in the park", it's great to hear you are up to the challenge . . .enjoy the nice weather and wishing you many more highs than lows!!!!!

    ReplyDelete