Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dad's Bday and Chemo #4

Hi Team,

Had a good weekend with my parents, had a nice Father's Day brunch with Dad, Mom and Monika at the Presidio Social Club - I've been there before and enjoyed the Tuna Salad Sandwich, but the crab cake sliders were just ok this weekend. I think they have more artisan cocktails on their menu than actual food items, and since I am trying to let my body heal and taking antibiotics, I didn't opt for any of those. Dad did have a tasty bloody mary though!

Dad and Mom are staying at the Mariott down on Union Square, thanks to cousin Scott for helping us arrange such a nice room. I thought I'd include a pic of Dad and me in the club room with our matching haircuts.


Monday night we rallied a crew to go salsa dancing at Cafe Cocomo - they have a pretty extensive beginners lesson on Monday nights, followed by DJ salsa music. It was so much fun! I have to admit I had my doubts... I debated premiering my blonde wig for the crowd there, but honestly, I get kind of hot and sweaty when I'm dancing and it just didn't sound comfortable, so I went bald. I was very interested to see how it went being a bald woman in that kind of crowd, I am used to lots of guys asking me to dance, but I didn't think that would be the case with me being bald, but they still did! I was amazed. And of course I got to dance w/ my dad and Anthony too. It was the most fun I've had in a while, and a good workout while we're at it! Going to try to work in more of those kind of nights hopefully.

Yesterday was chemo #4. I have to say this time it was a lot harder for me to muster up the mental energy to do this one. I know I am halfway done, and it could be a lot worse, maybe it was the juxtaposition of such a fun night on Monday - I want to keep having fun and not feeling like shit! Had a mini-breakdown last night just sheer not wanting to do it again, and again, etc. Physically hard, yes, but also very mentally challenging to stay positive! All of you have been wonderful for support, and I really appreciate it, but just the sheer lack of control over my life right now is very hard to cope with. Got some good suggestions from co-cancer fighters and survivors Kenji and Dana, going to try to work my way up to more activity and exercise this time. Physically may be difficult this time, but I think the mental benefit of exercising will prove to be worth it, and hopefully will help lessen the physical symptoms too.

Today's Dad's birthday, we are just planning on hanging out at the house, watching some movies (maybe going on a walk?) and going for Thai food for dinner.

Love,
Amy

7 comments:

  1. Hang in there Amy!! You are a rockstar. Here's to this round being less of a pain in the butt than the last round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so the only place where boys won't dance with you in the world is patong beach? that's not bad!
    i hope that this round isn't too bad, but you're incredibly strong and i know you'll make it through it even though it's tough. lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, people are not attracted only to your hair. It's the complete package that you are; but mostly your compassionate soul and thoughtful nature which shines out brightly from your eyes. We can ALL see that! Even from a photo. Special lady . . . (heart)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great time salsa dancing! Sounds like a ton of fun!
    Good luck on round # 4!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you're my friend, and you think I say these things to make you feel better, but I still truly feel you are the most beautiful bald woman I know. i <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You don't have to be a person of influence to be influential. In fact, the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they've taught me." -Scott Adams
    Amy you continue to inspire people every day just by being strong, loving, stubborn and just being YOU! Remember this, as Chemo #4 kicks in! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure having Mom and Dad there is a real plus!! . . Four down, two to go, almost to the finish line! You continue to be an inspiration to so many . . . .

    maybe a career change to salsa dancer!!! just a thought . . . .

    ReplyDelete