Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My Chief Complaint

Hi Team,

These past few days have been not so fun, just trying to keep medicating and be comfortable. This morning I'm not feeling nearly as sore, I'm hoping it's starting to wear off a little bit. The soreness would usually wear off toward the end of this week, but this time has definitely been more difficult than I was hoping. But still, staying out of the hospital so I can appreciate that.

So, funny thing - I've been having to do some paperwork for insurance, and one of the tasks was to gather all my medical records relating to this breast cancer and send them in, pathology report, etc. When I finally got the documents from Kaiser, the first page states "Patient Amy L Langenstein is a 28 year old female presents with a chief complaint of breast cancer."

How succinct. I do complain of my breast cancer, yes I suppose that would be considered my chief complaint when it comes to my health.

My friend Michelle left on Sunday *tear* and along with her the semi-sunny weather we'd been having. Not nearly warm enough to sit at Chrissy Field yesterday anyway. On Monday Anthony came in to visit, and he made me a delicious pasta dinner Monday night. Yesterday we mostly hung around the house watching old 80's movies. Apparently I have been missing out quite a lot on some cinematic masterpieces.

Also went to get my Lupron shot yesterday, it's a quick shot they give me in the butt that makes my whole body sore and ensures that my ovaries stay asleep for the duration of chemo. I call it my "menopause shot." Then last night we got Korean takeout and watched the Laker game. I do enjoy watching the NBA finals.

Love,
Amy

9 comments:

  1. Aloha Amy, As we get closer to the Golf tournament here in Kona, I can clearly reflect upon your teacher, and my wife, LiAnne, and the attitude of gratitude that she shared with everyone who came and who chose to breathe words of encouragment and hope into her life . It is easy for me to go there because as I read your reflections about life for you currently, I can see that you share the very same potent attitude of grace and love!
    Clearly, you are a person who will continue to touch lives in such a positive and meaningful way that even those who may not know you personally will and already have been impacted by how you have faced your giants and have seen and spoken "VICTORY"!!
    From all of us here at Mokuaikaua, our prayers for a cancer free body for you is one thing, but I truly cherish your cancer free attitude most of all. Yeah, yeah, I know when you are all alone and those thoughts begin to creep in, but seriously....isn't that to be expected. It's what we do with those thoughts that are important and I am here to tell you that your belief in Christ is the single most important and perhaps the greatest influential stance of faith that will speak volumes of love to your family and friends for eternity.
    One of my favorite songs of this summer is from Hillsongs United called "You Saw Me" You can hear it on Youtube at this url - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuFL0SKydA
    It gives me a great sense of peace and comfort knowing that when the storms descend and I have to rise above that I can do this! Not because of my strength, but because of Christ's presence within me! I stand in amazement and look forward to seeing you one shining day here in Kona or maybe San Francisco, where one of our favortie eating places is Betelnut Restaurant located on 2030 Union Street! It's a great Eurasian cusine that reminds me of some of the great local foods that we enjoy here in Hawaii!
    Love from Halani (my wife), Kehaulani (22), Kekaimalie (17)-my children with LiAnne, Ioane (6) and Loheauokalani(3) and of course me.... (50 something : )Brian....tee um high and let em fly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you're not really a complainer but I'm glad you complained to Kaiser about that breast cancer. I would too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, you're doing great. More than halfway done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I know this is when things get tougher. On thee other hand, this just means that you are much closer to the end of the treatment. Enjoy the weather, friends, NBA finals, and other fun things. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all of you for your encouragement. Definitely helps... and of course the distraction of the NBA playoffs is fun too :-D

    Brian - Thanks for all your help and support to my dad and parents also, they said it was a very touching service last week. I appreciate all your prayers!! Also, I have been to Betelnut - its not too far away from my apartment and I agree, delish!

    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howzit Amy, Can you believe it? We won!!! Your father was on fire! Okay,truth be told...none of us were on fire, but we all had key moments of sheer golf brilliance as we played like a team undaunted by the fact that we are ALL HACKERS!!!
    So, we went out and shot a 8 under 64 and only God and Peggy Cirako really know what our handicapp is! Anyway, we had so much fun and really enjoyed the day! May God bless you and keep you and May God's face shine upon you and give you peace....the peace of Christ Jesus! Best of hole of the day had to be when your dad just smashed a drive to within 50 yards of the hole and I said, "I feel it!" Stepped right up and hit a lob shot to about 5 feet! Yeah, we got birdie!!! Blessings upon your recovery! All things are possible with Christ!!!
    Aloha Mau Loa, brian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howzit Amy, Can you believe it? We won!!! Your father was on fire! Okay,truth be told...none of us were on fire, but we all had key moments of sheer golf brilliance as we played like a team undaunted by the fact that we are ALL HACKERS!!!
    So, we went out and shot a 8 under 64 and only God and Peggy Cirako really know what our handicapp is! Anyway, we had so much fun and really enjoyed the day! May God bless you and keep you and May God's face shine upon you and give you peace....the peace of Christ Jesus! Best of hole of the day had to be when your dad just smashed a drive to within 50 yards of the hole and I said, "I feel it!" Stepped right up and hit a lob shot to about 5 feet! Yeah, we got birdie!!! Blessings upon your recovery! All things are possible with Christ!!!
    Aloha Mau Loa, brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Amy hope your feeling better

    miss you,luv you


    -Sandra Figueroa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandra~ Miss and love you too! Life is good, am feeling good and happy. I hope you are doing well and enjoying school.

    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete