Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Exciting Day

Hi Team,
Today my friend Addie came over to work from my apartment and keep me company. We had lunch at a cafe with our friend Corey who fed me more of my heroine, Grey's Anatomy. I'm now officially on season 4 of 5 that are out on video, and this afternoon I watched 6 hours of the show. I think I need an intervention. Hopefully when I finish season five, I will actually start reading books again.

So I was reading some forums on Young Survival Coalition (YSC) - haven't been brave enough to post on there yet, and actually officially join the community of cancer survivors. You would think the reality of chemo and side effects would be enough to kick me into full on cancer survivorship, but for some reason reaching out and relating to other survivors who are total strangers doesn't appeal to me yet.

Those of you around SF know I haven't been shy about wearing my baldness proudly, and telling random strangers to check their boobies. However, I think I'm going to get a wig anyway. The American Cancer Society has a wig bank that will give me one for free, I get to go wig shopping which can be kind of cool, and as I was reading on the YSC forum, it would be nice to go out once in a while and not be the "cancer chick." One really cool thing I'm looking forward to when wig shopping is that in the past I've tried to take a picture of me and paste a hair cut or color over it to see how I'd look... now I can do that really easily! Perhaps I'll schedule something for next week.

Love,

Amy

8 comments:

  1. Oh fun!! You can go funky, something youd never normally try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    I lurked for a while on the YSC boards. Take your time but I am glad you have found the site.

    Good luck with the wigs. It is an interesting experience trying them on. I usually wore a hat but borrowed a friend's wig (it even had highlights) for a few friends weddings in the summer I was doing chemo.

    :)
    Saskia
    YSC NorCal member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Hi Saskia, I had no idea there are people following my blog from YSC, that's cool - how did you find me? I emailed the generic YSC norcal contact yscnorcal@youngsurvival.org today to see about getting in contact w/ the local group. And yes, am v excited to go wig shopping and have that as another option at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, This is Correen, Aaron's sister. Aaron heard from a friend and mom found your blog. If it's all right with you I'd like to add you to the prayer list at our church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I tired to get you a gift card for Osher Center, but I must be stupider than I thought because I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Correen!! Wow good to hear from you, thank you so much for your well-wishes and yes please any prayers and positive thoughts are more than welcome. I'm really not sure about the osher center, Monika added that because it is one of my bigger out of pocket expenses but haven't tried to buy a gift card yet - maybe they know? 415.353.7700 or I re-added rainbow grocery to the list too as those GC's are available online too... Thank you so much for thinking of me, and give my best to the family, Nate and your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To purchase acupuncture for Amy, you just have to call the Osher Center. I spoke to someone there last week who said to have people call in and pre-pay for an appointment.

    ReplyDelete