Friday, April 9, 2010

TGIF

So a full day at kaiser SF.... I decided that since I will be having a lot of dr's appointments, going to the dr doesn't mean I shouldn't look cute. I wore my ass kicking cowboy boots, since this whole ordeal will require a bit of ass kicking.

Also, a picture of my first ever hospital bracelet - ok so I wasn't in the hospital today, but believe it or not I have actually NEVER been checked in somewhere that required an ID bracelet like this, save a few water parks and concerts.

First meeting was with the oncologist Dr. Liu. He gave me a lot of really good information and spent 2 hours with me, an hour longer than we had scheduled. I will do my best to summarize but this does get very complicated. The cancer I have is ER positive , PR negative and they are not sure yet about HER2 status. They have sent it to further testing to determine HER2 status. The good news is that the cancer will respond to hormone treatment which means that they know what drug combos will be likely to be effective on my tumor. He said if the HER2 status comes back positive, they will add some other types of drugs to my chemo in order to attack it they way they know how to for HER2 gene related cancers.

He does need the results of my CT scan, Bone Scan and MugaScan before we can start chemo. He'll be meeting with me again next week friday (1 week from today) after we have the results of those tests to go through more details of the exact drug mix we'll be using and side effects, what to expect, timing of it all.

What we do know about my chemo now: It will most likely start the week after next, and we'll be doing "dose dense" chemo which means I get a treatment every 2 weeks rather than 3 weeks. Only because I am young and can withstand it. However, that also means that as I go through chemo, they will be regularly testing my white blood cell count - low white blood cell count means my immune system is very low. I will have to give myself injections of GCSF to boost my immune system. How many/how much will depend on my white blood cell count as we go along.

He is recommending AC-TH (the H is for hercepton which is a hormone to treat HER2 positive cancers, so that H may get taken off if my final tests come back HER2 negative). I will get more details of the effects and side effects in my next meeting with him. I will be doing 4x doses of the AC mix and another 4x doses of the TH mix, which would mean 8 total treatments every 2 weeks, four months total. After that, they usually wait 1-2 weeks and then do the surgery.

Still waiting on the MRI next week to stage the cancer - this will not have as much of an effect on the chemo as it will on the surgery. MRI will tell us how big the tumor is - if the tumor is more than 5 cm or has spread to more than 3 lymph nodes I will have to do radiation as well after surgery.

We did also have a short conversation about fertility today, looks like about 50% of the time, chemo with these hormones will send a person into early menopause. Normally they would recommend saving eggs, but that is a process that takes a couple of months and they do not want to wait that long to start chemo. So, he referred me also to a reproductive endocrinologist to discuss what I can do to best preserve my fertility. However, just good to set the expectation that this chemo may leave me not able to have kids.

The other big blow was that my oncologist was recommending strongly for me to take 6 months off work. Now, not sure if I will need to do that, or if I can afford to do that. He did give me the paperwork to start that process, but I am going to wait a little while, maybe after my first treatment to see how I feel from it, to determine if I can just do a combination of a few days off and/or working from home or if I will have to do full blown time off.

There was a lot more info I got, but for the sake of keeping this manageable, just ask me in the comments if you have more questions - next major update will be next Friday when I meet with the oncologist again - that will be a planning session for starting chemo.

The CT scan was cake although they give you an IV and I learned after he stabbed my right arm and didn't get a vein that my left arm is my better arm for a vein for an IV. Apparently that is out of the ordinary for someone that is right handed. I guess add that to the list of out of the ordinary things lately! :)

Love you all,
Amy

15 comments:

  1. The boots look sexy hot! You are in our hearts and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you so much babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy Chicago Team Meeting Minutes:

    Friday, April 9th 19:00

    1) Marvel at Amy's Boots: Shit-kicking!
    2) Chicago Coffee Tawk (with wine)
    3) Call Amy, leave message
    4) Call Mandy Branch in Ft. Ladida
    5) Thai food for dinner: Michelle talks about eating Thai food in Thailand with Amy
    6) Plot surprises for Amy
    7) Call Amy again. Don't want to hang up, cause her to be late for dinner (sorry dinner friends)
    8) Facebook Stalking
    9) Contact SF Mandy Branch for more surprise reconnaissance work
    10) Gather estimates on when the big package will come
    11) That's what she said
    12) Maureen motions to end the meeting. . .at least that's what we think that motion is
    13) Michelle passes out
    Meeting adjourned

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to all your prayers, support and Internet hugs for Amy. She appreciates every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee Hee. Like it when big packages come. Love you Mandys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I get someone to clean up after the big package comes too? ;) Love the thai food shoutout. Many that curry in Thailand was spicey!!! :) Love you guys!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the boots and ass-kicking mindset! As a person who has spent some time in some hospitals, one piece of advice--name your IV. Some favorites--Pal (cause he follows you around), Spike (that one should be obvious), Devil (clearly not the best hospital visit), etc. Then you can wander around say things like "Hey Buddy, do you think that doctor's hot? Not your type, huh?" or "Damnit Frank that hurts!" I'm just saying...It kills the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. from Mom I think you had a bracelet like that from Kona Hospital on 12/31/81. I will look in your baby book to see if I have it. I was much smaller than that one. :) XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy, use'em sexy boots to kick the bugger out of the park. Lots of love! Vikas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Amy,
    Its Momi, I just got the news. I am so sorry and am rooting for you. I am sure you will kick it in the but. You are in my prayers. I will be checking in for updates. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dad sez: Yes, the boots are lovely! You are awesome honey. Love, me

    ReplyDelete
  12. from sandra


    i lve u so much.


    ps love the knew hair due

    ReplyDelete
  13. your awsome amy. i can name 10 things why everyone should love you. your pretty, not selfish,ounist,helpful,nice,dosen't brag,loving,sweet as a cupcake,outstanding,and a person that everyone wants to be around.i love love love you so much.

    from sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you sandra That is so nice of you to say. I love you too. I miss you!!!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was during my research on HIV/Herpes that I stumbled upon the Hiv/Herpes information; information which is quite easy to find when doing a search for STD on google. I was into conspiracy at the time thought of HIV/Herpes Cured' being a conspiracy was something Ignorance though,I found pretty interesting about herbal medicine. I asked questions about the Herbal cure's on official HIV/Herpes websites and I was banned for doing so by moderators who told me that I was parroting Hiv/Herpes propaganda. This reinforced my belief that there is a cure for Hiv/Herpes Then i found a lady from germany name Achima Abelard Dr Itua Cure her Hiv so I send him a mail about my situation then talk more about it and send me his herbal medicine I drank for two weeks.And today I'm Cured no Hiv/Herpes in my life,I searched for Hiv/Herpes groups to attempt to make contact with people in order to learn more about Hiv/Herpes Herbal Cure's I believed at this time that you with the same disease this information is helpful to you and I wanted to do the best I could to spread this information in the hopes of helping other people.That Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Love Spell,Lottery Spell,disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Infertility, ,Epilepsy ,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara,Conley,Mckinney and many more suffring from all kind of disease so i contacted him . He's a herbal doctor with a unique heart of God, Contact Emal..info@drituaherbalcenter.com / drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Phone or whatsapp..+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete